Employment Tribunal Claims Fees From 29 July 2013

20130729 An-employment-tribunal-si-006

From the Ministry of Justice :Employment


Please note that from Monday 29th July 2013 all employment tribunal claims and Employment Appeal Tribunal appeals will be required to pay a fee or provide an application for fee remission.

A summary of the fees structure can be found in the Employment Fees Factsheet below, or more detailed information is available in our fees guidance booklets if you click the “Claims and Fees” link on the left.

Employment Fees Factsheet

Employment Tribunals hear claims about matters to do with employment. These include:

  • unfair      dismissal
  • redundancy      payments and
  • discrimination.

We also deal with a range of claims relating to wages and other payments. You can get a full list, called a jurisdiction list, from any local tribunal office or the Employment Tribunals public enquiry line on 0845 795 9775.

If you are not sure that your claim is something that an Employment Tribunal can deal with, contact the public enquiry line or ACAS (on 08457 47 47 47 which is open from 0800 to 2000 Monday–Friday and 0900 to 1300 on Saturday)

An Employment Tribunal is like a court but it is not as formal; for example, nobody wears a wig or gown. However, like a court it must act independently and cannot give legal advice. Almost all hearings are open to the public.

The Employment Tribunals are independent judicial bodies who determine disputes between employers and employees over employment rights. Our website provides information about the tribunal’s procedures and gives guidance on how you make or respond to a claim.

Administrative support to employment tribunals is provided by the HM Courts and Tribunal Service, an executive agency of the Ministry of Justice (MOJ)

New Claimants in Northern Ireland should apply to the Industrial Tribunals and Fair Employment Tribunal, Northern   Ireland.

Back to top

Judicial mediation

When a person makes an Employment Tribunal claim normally the process which is followed involves a Hearing taking place before an Employment Tribunal at which evidence is heard and legal arguments are made with a decision (judicial determination) then being made on the case.

The process is a formal one involving evidence being led from witnesses and cross examination, which is very similar to what happens in an ordinary court. Mediation provides an alternative way to resolve a dispute which does not involve going through the normal tribunal hearing process. It is a form of what is commonly referred to as ADR – Alternative Dispute Resolution.

More information on judicial mediation

Judicial Mediation Scotland
Judicial Mediation England and Wales

Back to top

Charter statement

This page sets out the standards of service we aim to provide and explains how you can let us know when you are not pleased with our service. Most people coming to a tribunal will be concerned about what to expect. We aim to reduce these concerns by giving you a helpful, polite and professional service.

Back to top

Our aims, standards and targets

We aim to:

  • acknowledge      and deal with your application within three working days of receiving it;
  • answer      95% of letters within 10 working days of receiving them;
  • bring      75% of single cases to a hearing within 26 weeks of receiving them;
  • meet      the people involved in a case within 10 minutes of their arrival at      reception;
  • explain      what will happen during the hearing;
  • deal      with as many cases as possible during each day (this might mean that a      number of cases are ‘unallocated’ and will start as soon as there is a      tribunal available);
  • send      a written judgment within four weeks of the hearing in 85% of cases; and
  • answer      100% of phone calls within six rings. We will be polite, give our name and      give the name of our organisation.

Back to top

Special requirements

If you, or anyone coming to a tribunal with you, have a disability or a particular need we can make reasonable adjustments to help you use our service. You should contact the office dealing with your case about your needs as soon as possible to discuss the matter.

We can provide the following:

  • Our      standard booklets in Welsh;
  • Foreign      language and sign language interpreters at the tribunal hearing; and
  • Accessible      offices for people with disabilities. If necessary, we will arrange for      the case to be heard elsewhere.

If an alternative format or more accessible version is required (e.g. a large print version or Braille copy etc) then a request should be made to the local court or tribunal.

We can make reasonable adjustments to help you use our service. You should tell the office about your needs as soon as possible. We may also be able to help anyone who comes to a tribunal hearing with you.

Please note that our booklets are only produced in English and Welsh.

Back to top

Listening to you

We welcome your comments, compliments and complaints and use them to improve our service. We do this by:

  • paying      attention to your comments, compliments and complaints;
  • asking      you to fill in comment forms; and
  • carrying      out local and national surveys.

Employment Judges and members are independent of the HM Courts and Tribunal Service so we cannot look into claims that:

  • the      tribunal’s judgment was unfair or wrong; or
  • the      Employment Judge did not handle your case properly.

Please tell us if you want to complain about our service. A member of staff will try to sort out your problem immediately. If you are still not happy, please speak to our Customer Services Officer at the office dealing with your claim.

If you want more information about how to complain, ask us for our booklet “How to complain“. You may also be able to claim compensation if you have lost money because of a mistake by our staff. If you want to claim compensation, you must write to the manager at the tribunal office dealing with your case. In certain circumstances you cannot claim compensation. For example, you cannot claim compensation if the case is not heard on time or is postponed, because this does not result from an administrative decision.

Back to top

Sources of information

If you want more information about us, you should contact:

Employment Tribunals Public Enquiry line: 0845 795 9775

Or your local tribunal office

In Addition


ACAS have put together a code of practice: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/j/8/Acas-Code-of-Practice-on-Settlement-Agreements