The New Marriage Allowance

The New Marriage Allowance

From The Tax Team
Gold Bands shutterstock_128647805

Could you or your spouse benefit from the new Marriage Allowance?

The allowance means a spouse or civil partner who doesn’t pay tax – therefore is not earning at all or is earning below the basic rate threshold (£10,600) – can transfer up to £1,060 of their personal tax-free allowance to a spouse or civil partner – as long as the recipient of the transfer doesn’t pay more than the basic rate of income tax, helping them save up to £212 per year.

The allowance comes into effect from 6 April 2015 and you can register your interest with HMRC now at

You’ll be able to claim Marriage Allowance if all the following apply:

  • you’re married or in a civil partnership
  • you have an annual income of less than £10,600 – including pensions, savings and investments
  • your spouse or civil partner has an annual income of between £10,601 and £42,385
  • you were both born on or after 6 April 1935

If you or your partner were born before 6 April 1935, you may be able to claim Married Couple’s Allowance instead.

If you think you may benefit from the new allowance or simply want more information please contact our tax department on 01254 688111.